Sentiero degli Dei
Sentiero degli Dei
Just thinking of the Amalfi coast summons images of quaint and colorful architecture, riding along curved cliff side roads on a Vespa, dinner on a rocky beach while an accordion plays in the distance. While this is all true, there is another side of Amalfi that I wasn’t aware until I got there, the adventurous, out-of-the-way hiking side. When I got to Positano, I didn’t imagine it was possible to get up to the cliff way up over the town, but after a little investigation, I found myself on the way to the Path of the Gods! It’s breathtaking cliff-side hike with idyllic views of the coast and Capri. Hiking never looked so good!
- From Positano (45 mins), or even Sorrento (1.5 hours), take the SITA bus in the direction of Amalfi. (~3 Euro at a tabaccheria, but it’ll cost more if you buy it directly on the bus.)
- Once you get to Amalfi, you’ll need to buy a local bus ticket (~2 Euro) and then switch to the bus that goes from Amalfi to Agerola and get off at “Bomerano.” It’ll take about 40 mins of winding up cliff before you get to the stop. Mention to the bus driver that you want to get off at Bomerano, and they’ll let you know when you arrive. Chances are you’ll meet other hikers while on the bus that you can strike up a conversation with.
- Once you get to Bomerano, there will be green signs that lead you through the town to the Path of the Gods, or Sentiero degli Dei. (Max 10 mins to the start of the path)
- The hike will take about 2 hours and in this direction, from Bomerano to Nocelle, will be much easier because it is generally downhill. If you want more of a workout, try returning the way you came back.
- Once you get to Nocelle, there is a downhill path of 1300 steps… try it if you dare. Or if you’d rather not have shaking leg syndrome, take a local bus down to Positano. (~2 Euro)
- Extra step: Grab a bottle of wine and celebrate being one step closer to being one with nature!
I hope this convinced you to take your trainers on your next trip to Amalfi!